How “10 Stacks To Success: How To Achieve Success One Goal At A Time”
How I Achieved 16,182 Downloads In Three Days.
For starters, WOW! In a nutshell, I wrote and published a book and three weeks later it had over 16,000 downloads on Kindle.
In early 2014, I made the decision that I would write a book based on the success I had created for myself. A “How-To” guide that could help pave the path for those who are seeking to achieve certain goals and develop the attributes needed to create their own personal success. Eight months later, I successfully achieved my goal of becoming an author. Not just any author, but an “Amazon Best Selling Author” who ranked #1, during my Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Promotion, in six different categories including Motivation, Self-Help, Non-Fiction, Business & Investing, and Marketing & Sales. “10 Stacks To Success: How To Achieve Success One Goal At A Time” had become an overnight success to rank #8 in the Kindle Store. So, I believe my purpose must continue by sharing my “book success” with indie authors who are looking to reach the same or even better position. I can tell you one thing, it’s not as easy as it seems.
10 things you need to have before enrolling into the Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Program to create the best results for your campaign:
- A GOOD BOOK! — Or at least a book you truly believe
- Twitter page, Facebook Fan Page, and a normal Twitter — The indie author community is huge on twitter and Facebook, get on it!
- A book promotional video on Youtube, Vimeo etc.
- A GoodReads account and profile goodreads.com.
- 5-10 Amazon reviews — Reviews are super important, how many things have you purchased solely based on reviews? Exactly.
- Press Release articles – submitting to PR websites are very effective: try pieceofcakepr.com.
- Your own blog.
- A website dedicated solely to your book – A Splash/Pitch page is recommended.
KDP in the Hizzy! – (The New Jersey in me came out!)
That’s right! KDP is in the house and [they?] they will tear the roof off the competition in the eBook universe. In my opinion, the KDP select program is the utmost beneficial way to get your book out and about. Here are some basic facts if you are unfamiliar with the program:
KDP Select is an optional program for you to reach even more readers and also provides the opportunity to earn more money.
Why choose KDP Select?
- Earn higher royalties – Earn your share of the KDP Select Global Fund when readers read your books from Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. The fund amount is variable and announced on a monthly basis. We constantly monitor all factors that impact the KDP Select fund in order to set the fund amount for our KDP Select authors. You can also earn 70% royalty for sales to customers in Japan, India, Brazil, and Mexico.
- Maximize your book’s sales potential – Choose from two promotional tools: Kindle Countdown Deals, time-bound promotional discounts for your book, available on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, while earning royalties; or Free Book Promotion, where readers can get your book free for a limited time.
- Reach a new audience – Help readers discover your books by making them available through Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library and reach the growing number of Amazon Prime customers in the U.S., U.K., Germany, France, and Japan.”
Further details can be found on https://kdp.amazon.com/select however, if you get confused, hire someone!
Note: Keep in mind that during the days of your campaign, your book will be free, but don’t worry about that! The more people that download your book, the more people will talk about your book and higher your ranking. As a result, your paperback book sales will increase after the free select days are over.
Now that the foundation is all set up for our Kindle book, we have enrolled in the program, and are ready to receive downloads, the next logical question is, “How do we promote the book during the specific KDP select days?” Easy, WE PROMOTE IT! Enlist other authors, bloggers, and writers in the industry that are always looking to help newcomers. Look for promotional websites that allow you to submit your book for free during the KDP select days, some provide the option for a paid promotion – the decision is yours. However, keep in mind that everyone deserves to be rewarded for their hard work and excellence so if you have some “shka-roll” (New Jersey Italian slang for money) lying around, I would highly suggest you compensate the promotors websites – it really doesn’t cost much. As so, try putting aside a budget that can be used for your promotions and enhance your campaign.
Here are 42 websites that you may submit your book for your KDP Select Program:
Note: I found this information on a blog I came across while searching the keyword “KDP Select Promotions.” I can’t really remember which site I exactly used because I saved all the links onto my computer, but if you’re out there, THANK YOU!
- eReaderNewsToday – Must have more than three reviews and a 4-star rating or above. It is suggested to contact them a minimum three days before your schedule free promotion.
- DigitalBookToday – The majority of submitted books that meet the minimum guidelines of 18+ reviews and 4.0+ star rating average are listed for up to three consecutive free days. For a minimal fee, they will list a limited number of book that have little or no reviews.
- FKBooksandTips – First come, first serve $25 flat fee.
- AuthorMarketingClub – A free membership signup is required.
- BargainBookHunter – It is recommended that you contact them a week or more in advance when you have planned your KDP Select free days and include the following: Title, dates your book will be free, and the ASIN or a link to your book on Amazon.com. Do not cloak, shorten, or include your Amazon affiliate code in your life. Such actions will guarantee your book will be ignored!
- IgniteYourBook – They only accept eBooks that are currently available through Amazon.com. Books can only be listed once, and duplicate submissions will be deleted. Your book must be free for the entire time period you indicate on your submission page and your book can only be features for a total of 14 days, so choose wisely.
- eBookDealofDay – Romance only, $5 fee to be featured.
- eBookDealofDayUK – Romance and United Kingdom only.
- BookDealHunter – Must be an e-mail subscriber to their blog.
- JotFormPro – Kindle Book Review
Bonus: If you have a couple hundred dollars to spare, visit BookBaby.com
Sign up to as many of these sites as you could. Yes, it is tedious work, but you have to be willing to do some footwork in order to achieve the best outcome during your campaign. Do you want to be an Amazon Best Seller? Then get off your ass (or stay seated) and start filling out the applications! Fill it out one-by-one OR……
Pay someone! HAHA! The following banners are linked to sites that offer a service to submit your Kindle eBook to various websites who will run promotions during your campaign. Fun Fact: I actually found these website AFTER I filled out and submitted 23 applications. I was so stoked (excited) that I found the following services, but my Obsessive Compulsive Disorder kicked in and I filled out the remaining applications after using the submission tools. So, I pretty much did double the work. Like I said, it’s up to you on how bad you want to become a “Best Selling Author” and get five-digit downloads.
Social F@#$ING Media!
Ladies and Gentlemen, it’s 2014 and the “World Wide Web” has given us the unconditional gift of social media. All I have to say is TAKE ADVANTAGE. We overlook this simple took because sometimes we don’t recognize it as an avenue for promotions. Some look at it as a “stupid, trendy, and obnoxious” way to discuss matters with other people. In reality, it’s an author’s best friend! This is probably the best way to get visibility on your book, period. We have a community of people interacting with each other with the same interests all over the world. On these platforms, you are able to spread the word, create and build upon a #hashtag, and connect with very important people in the author industry.
The trick with social media is to obtain followers who are interested in the genre of your book and will become the solid ground of followers who will await your book release or promotion. Connect with people who have similar ideas, thoughts, and hobbies as yourself so that you can, as a community, discuss specific topics that pertain to your current or upcoming book. Connect with the followers, readers, authors, or community by first asking questions on the subject of your book. You DO NOT want to push your book down the community’s throat because that will only lead to destruction. Nobody likes a consistent “sales-pitch” however, you can chose to run paid advertisements on the social media platforms which are often very effective. Writing articles on your blog is also a great way to steer attention towards your book because you, once again, have an opportunity to connect with new followers, readers, and authors and create a community of your own. Take the extra time out to create relationships with others by replying to their comments and posts and simply thank them for taking the time out to comment. During this process, you will meet very interesting people who will be glad to help promote your book. Keep in mind that the information you share with them is the information they will share with others, so make sure it’s meaningful. Social media is long road with many avenues of opportunities so learn to connect with people via social media E-V-E-R-Y-D-A-Y!
Here are 205 #hashtags that are well known in the author community. Yes, it is a lot but you need to get familiar with these if you intend on making your book a success.
- #BookMarket (Thursday’s at 4 pm ET)
- #LitChat (every M/W/F)
- #MemoirChat (Every other Wednesday at 8 pm ET)
- #NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month is held every November)
- #PBLitChat (picture books only)
- #WANA (We are Not Alone community)
- #WriterWednesday (or #WW or ##WW)
Connect By Book Genre
- #MGLit (Middle Grade Lit)
- #RWA (Romance Writers of America)
- #SCBWI (Society of Children’s Books Writers and Illustrators)
- #Science #Fiction
- #Short #Stories
Get Industry Information
- #IAN or #IAN1 (Independent Author Networking)
- #IndiePub (or #IndiePublishing)
- #VSS (very short story)
Get Your Creative Juices Flowing
- #1K1H or #1K1HR (write one thousand words in one hour)
- #WIP (work in progress)
Connect With Readers
- #ff (Friday Follow)
- #fRead0 (zero at the end, not a lower case “o”)
- #MyWANA (Writer’s community created by Kirsten Lamb)
- #TeaserTuesday or #TeaserTues
Promotion, Marketing & Networking
You will also discover social media accounts that run book promotions however, most of them require compensation for their services. This approach definitely works, but only to an extent. The creation of a pure connection and building relationships with your followers is much more effective. However, as I said before, if you have some extra “moola” (another slang term for money) sitting around, it can’t hurt.
Here are a few Twitter accounts that offer such services:
There are a million other accounts that offer extended social media services. It is hard to tell which is more effective than the other so you kind of just have to roll the dice on this specific subject.
How Do We Get Reviews?
Before proceeding with your KDP Select Campaign, it is highly recommended you have reviews. This will make your book much more valuable, credible, and highly considered by other book review websites and blogs. Whether or not you run free promotions, reader reviews are critical to the success of your book and there are a number of way to get them.
- Ask for reviews on Kindle Boards and other forums.
- Contact writing blogs and review sites.
- Email Amazon Reviewers — Many regular reviewers on Amazon make their emails available. Email those who are likely to be interested in your book by sending them a free version and kindly ask for an honest review.
- Ask for reviews from visitors to your blog, your Facebook fans or other social media contacts.
- Review other authors’ books – Remember the Law of Reciprocation! This is a great way to get your own book reviewed.
- Once you start receiving some positive reviews, keep a note of people who liked your book and contact them when you have another book that needs reviewing.
- Hire a PR company who knows just how to reach out to the right people. Get your book in their hands and have their professionals build reviews for your book. (Again this may cost some $$$$.)
- Websites, Blogs, and Authors who will consider reviewing your book, or will review your book for exchange of some Dinero! (Money)
Let Me See Your Footwork!
We must be willing to do the footwork. We have to be relentless with our actions and stay consistent in order to progress. We have to reach out to as many people as we can through social media, emails, blogs, press releases, local media, local businesses, friend, family, EVERYONE! We have to spread the word and let our voice be heard that WE ARE NOW A F@#$ING AUTHOR!
In conclusion, this is how I attained 16,182 Kindle downloads in 3day-KDP Select Program. Through these methods I developed a “#1 Amazon Best Selling Author” status in six different categories. This is how my book became a success. Once you have obtained this title, you are now a bestselling author for the rest of your life!
From here on forward, you’re not just __your name here___. You’re __your name here___, a BEST SELLING AUTHOR!
I hope all this information can help you all reach your goals, but just in case, don’t forget to cross your fingers.
Stay Smart, Stay Sharp, Stay Positive, and remember, success is not merely a goal, it’s a lifestyle.
Jerome “Jay” Isip
Book Tour Schedule